We have received so many questions concerning what we could use in Malawi, what are we missing from the US and can it be sent to us. We are so touched that you miss us and are thinking about us! This post, in no way, means that we think you should send us something and we are in no way expecting anything on this list! E-mail and snail mail are super appreciated and loved!!
Tips for sending us mail:
Padded envelopes seem to send faster than boxes but boxes have just as high a retrieval rate. The postal system in Africa is not always honest. I would be very wary of sending anything that is expensive and many people find that it helps to wright some sort of religious quote or “religious materials” on the package so that it lessens the chance of being tampered with.
If you are sending multiple letters, numbering them will help us to know if all of them got to us. Sometimes delivery dates vary!! We have gotten some letters in 10 days and others in 20...
Items that would help to improve our health:
As we have mentioned before, finding fresh food here has been difficult so staying healthy is sometimes a challenge.
- Soups with dried vegetables
- Spices—Not Curry...we have a lot of curry. Paprika, pumpkin type spices, cardamom pods, anything not curry :) we LOVE spices!
- Nutritional Yeast!--this can be found in most health food stores. It is delicious, high in B12, and tastes like cheese!
- Herbal Teas
- Women's Mulit Vitamins—These are invaluable! PC does not supply them and what we can find in country is poor quality. And a women's vitamin will have extra iron!
- Dried Fruit
- Nuts—We have plenty of peanuts here
- Seeds—Flax, sunflower, chia
- Seeds for Planting—Mostly herbs, or something yummy from your garden :)
Items we miss or are for fun :)
- Powdered Cheese
- Chocolate!-- Reeses, Dark Chocolate, oreos (off brand too, not picky!) Chocolate!!
- Fig Newtons
- Granola Bars—or those yummy energy bars like LarBars or Earnest Bars
- Fruit Leathers—or fruit snacks, these make great bubble wrap replacement ;)
- Packets of Soy Sauce from restaurants and such.
- Anything with good taste!!
- Pelleted Hopps for Beer Brewing
Items for Hygiene:
We can find some of these things here but they are expensive.
- Liquid Castile Soap—Dr. Bronner's or Camp Suds are great brands
- Tooth Brush
- Waxed Floss
- Small, Pretty Smelling Lotions from Hotels :)
For fun and leisure:
- Books—read a good book? Let us know!
- Media—flash drives full of movies, books, pictures, kid's recitals/awards!
- Old Magazines :)
Make the Iwes (children) Our Friends!!:
All of these things will be destroyed, so please nothing expensive or high quality. Also, something expensive might lead to fights among the children.
- Dollar Tree/Penny Toys—nothing big or fancy, party favor type toys. No guns or things that look like weapons.
- Crayons/Coloring Books!!!!
- Craft Supplies—Mostly glue and glue sticks
- Little Individually Wrapped Candies—Hard Candies and such
Again, thank you all so much for the interest and wanting to show us support in this way. Please do not feel obligated to send us anything!!
And we promise if you write us, we will write you!!! :)